Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sep 12, 2011

We will miss you Grandpop

Today my Grandpop went to join my Grandmom in heaven.  I will miss him and hearing his stories so much.  He lived a very long and good life up until a week ago.  Last Monday I got to visit with him while he was in the hospital and we really did have a great visit, all things considered.   He asked me if Bailey was walking yet and how Jackson was.  He even told all the nurses that I was his grand-daughter and I had had 2 of his great-grandchildren :)  I will never forget that day and those last wonderful moments I had with him.  I am so thankful that John told me we needed to go and that night to visit him.  I know John is thankful too that he got to talk to him one last time.  He enjoyed Jackson and Bailey just as much as he did all of us & I am so grateful he got to know John.  We often met him for meals at IHop which was his very favorite place to eat :)  He always remembered things that happened at each lunch or breakfast, like how Jackson would pick out the blueberries from his pancakes :)  He was a very devout Catholic, loved to sit in the front, and hated when we talked in church ;) He was a "tell-it-like it is" man, often grit his teeth when he talked , & he would do head stands constantly to entertain me and my cousins...I will miss those things the most I think.  His stories were often about when he served our country or about his favorite person in the world~my Grandmother.  I will never forget how he always got down on one knee to tell you stories.  He would even get down on one knee and tell my grandmother how beautiful she was..."Gertie, you are so beautiful" he would say (they were probably about 80 yrs old at the time).  His love for her was just so amazing.  He was not perfect, but he won her heart and I know he has been waiting for the day when he can be with her again.   As some of my best friends told me, I am lucky that I can take my memories of him with me through the rest of my life.  I miss you already and love you Grandpop and know you will be watching us up in heaven with Grandmom.

3 comments:

Ali said...

OH Michelle, I'm so sorry. What a sweet tribute to your Grandpop!

I hope you find some peace as you grieve.

Tiffany said...

So sorry for the loss of your Grandpop. What sweet stories, I'm sure the kids will be so happy to have them one day.

Aunt Tes said...

Hi Michele. This is so beautiful to my Dad. I really miss him. Thank you.