Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sep 2, 2011

Sweet Teachers email

Jackson did great his first day and not so good the 2nd day ;)  His note home said, "needed reminding-he was hitting instead of using his words".  Well of course my face turned RED in the car and I asked Jackson "Who did you hit at school today??!" and he said "I hit the kids Mama"-very matter of fact!  (they tell on themselves very innocently at this age!)  So of course John and I talked about it NON-STOP with him for the next 2 days until he went to school again Thursday.  I wanted to be sure he had a better day, so I wrote the teacher a little email and this is what she wrote back to me...

Hi Mrs. Ballard,

Have no fear, Jackson's not the only goldfish forgetting that he can talk (altho' I know that doesn't make you feel any better). I hate sending home disappointing news, but I know most parents would rather know as soon as something happens. I'm not the least concerned since it's a huge adjustment learning to function and share with nine other people. And it's obvious that he knows that hitting isn't a good idea, he responds very well to "Oh, Jackson, hitting hurts, we don't hit at school. Please say you are sorry" We also say things like, "please be gentle" or "we need to be kind to our friends". Eventually it will sink in and they all learn to diffuse their frustration.
He has a lot to figure out - new people to deal with at school and a sister on the move (and probably getting precariously close to his stuff). For very young children, "turf wars" and personal space are one in the same. And we don't expect adult reactions from young children learning to socialize. So, I see Jackson's guarding his "stuff" from friends (hitting when they get too close) as a normal response - not how an adult would respond, but perfectly normal for a young three experimenting with social interactions. Lots of reminders, showing him alternatives and occasional time outs will get the point across. And he's seeing the repercussions when the other children do the same. The learning curve is quite rapid in the goldfish room. Right now we are spending LOTS of time learning, experiencing and talking about HOW to play with many other children. I am completely confident that Jackson will use his words and figure out how much fun it is to play with others.
We had a great day today - all of us have a blast at water day. He especially loved chasing bubbles and eating a popsicle! We wore ourselves out. My favorite thing about Jackson is that he wants to do everything - he's not afraid to try paint, the playground, new toys, silly songs and dancing - makes my job so fun! And he's very proud to use the little potty all by himself!!! The only thing he does not like to do is get in line. As soon as we say "line" he starts to cry and seems a little distraught. Once we start moving/walking, he's fine. Go figure! I think he does not like to stay in one spot too long :)
Thanks for keeping in touch with me and sharing your thoughts. It really helps me get the know the kids. I am very glad to have Jackson in my class, I'm already seeing him warm up to the new room and new routine (quite a different pace than Mrs.J's old teacher's room).
 Hope you have a fabulous holiday!

Blessings,
Mrs. _______

Well, needless to say...I love her and that was such a sweet note.  She already knows our little man soooooo well and it's only been 3 days!!!  They are just amazing at his school and I am so glad he has a teacher that loves him :)  Her email made me feel so much better and I will continue to work with him on everything she wrote to me about and keep you updated! :)

No comments: